Artist and author You Byun draws imaginative landscapes that capture the magic around her with lush environments and a variety of memorable characters. Playful, detailed but with a certain sombreness. Be entranced, be very entranced.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for Original Art Show Annual Juried Show, Society of Illustrators (2015)
- AI-AP American Illustration 33 SELECTED as a winner (2014)
- Bologna Children’s Book Fair Selected for Opera Prima show (2014)
- American Illustration 33 Annual Juried Show, Selected (2014)
- Pick Me Up London Graphic Design Festival 2013, Selected as "Selects – Up and Coming Artists'. Somerset House, London UK (April 2013)
- Society of Illustrators Annual 55 (2013)
- Grand Prize from "SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators)" (2010)
- Tomie DePaola Special Prize from "SCBWI" Tomie DePaola Illustrator Award (2010)
- Society of Illustrator West 48 Society of Illustrator (2010)
- "Creative Quarterly" issue 18 as a winner, published on April (2010)
- American Illustration 28 Annual Juried Show, Chosen (2009)
- American Illustration 27, Annual Juried Show, Chosen (2008)
- MFA in Illustration as Visual Essay, School of Visual Arts, NYC, US
- BFA in Visual Communication Design, Hongik University, Seoul, Korea
Selected Client List
Client List includes Penguin Books, New York Times, Nobrow Press, Fisher Price, Verizon, PLANSPONSOR Magazine, NPR, Warby Parker, Roger la Borde, Rodale, JWT, Pictoplasma, Gestalten, SCBWI, Enchanted Lion Books and more.
Korean artist, award-winning illustrator and an author, You Jung Byun was born in Queens, New York. Byun grew up in America, Korea and Japan, and after getting BFA from Hongik University in Korea she returned to New York. She received her Master's degree of Fine Arts from the School of Visual Arts in New York.
Byun is known and recognized for her detailed lines, colors and imaginative landscapes(such as background images and patterns), Byun also likes to draw characters and portraits.
Her illustration captures the magic of lush environments and a variety of memorable characters. She draws her influences from the various cultures she has lived amongst. Her illustrative storytelling is achieved through delicate details woven with rich colors, patterns and decorative ornaments. The works invite you into her fanciful realm that is playful yet sometimes tinged with a somber autumnal hint of transformation.
Her work has been recognized by various magazines, awards and competitions, including Nobrow, Pick Me Up London 2013, Communication Arts Magazine, Creative Quarterly, Ai-Ap, Society of Illustrators, Society of Illustration LA, & SCBWI (with winning both Grand Prize in Portfolio Award, and Tomie DePaola Award at a same time on 2010).
Her Client List includes Penguin Books, Nobrow Press, Fisher Price, Verizon, PLANSPONSOR Magazine, NPR, Roger la Borde, Rodale, JWT, Pictoplasma, Gestalten, SCBWI and more.
While working on various projects, she is currently working on her second picture book with an international publisher Penguin Group - Nancy Paulsen Books (A division of Penguin Young Readers Group), which is scheduled to be published in 2014. Her first book Dream Friends with the same publisher, which was highly praised by New York Times and Amazon.
Byun now lives and works in Brooklyn, New York, and is enjoying many chocolate fingers and tea, and watching pigeons fighting over stale bagels.
- New York Times (click to view)
- Interview with "AI-AP" (click to view)
- Interview with "CultureCritique(UK)" (click to view)
- Interview with AI-AP (click to view)
- Review by Monocle Mag, noting, "Look out for Korean Artist You Byun".
- Interview with "Communication Arts" (click to view)
- Interview with Digital Artist Magazine issue 30
- Interview with "Moon Ape" (click to view)
- Interview with Gallery Nucleus (click to view)
- Starred Review by Publishers Weekly Magazine (click to view)
- Blogged by "Drawn"
- Amazon Book of the Month pick for February 2013
- Interview with Moomah the Magazine March 2013 issue (click to view)
- Millie's Missing Yawn, Pavillion Books (UK) (2018)
- Little Baby Buttercup(author Linda Ashman), Nancy Paulsen Books, Penguin (US) (2015)
- Dream Friends, by Nancy Paulsen Books, Penguin USA (February 2013)
- Nobrow 8, by Nobrow Press (UK) (2013)
- Ghosts of Gone Birds, by Bloomsbury UK (Autumn 2013)
- Children's Illustration, by Loft (ES) / Rockport(US) (2013)
- The Character Compendium, by Pictoplasma DE (2012)
- Digital Artist Issue 30, by Imagine Publishing Ltd. UK (2012)
- Communication Arts Magazine, US (2012)
- Publishers Weekly Magazine December issue, US (2012)
- Illustration Unlimited, Gestaltan DE (2011)
- SCBWI Bulletin, by SCBWI US (2010)
- Creative Quarterly Magazine issue 18, US (2010)
- Print Slam 8, SVA Risolab, NY, US (April 2017)
- Messengers, AG Gallery, Brooklyn NY, US (March 2017)
- The Turn of the Page, Curated by Pat Cummings, Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn NY, US (May 2016)
- Wonderlands, Invisible Dog Art Center, Brooklyn NY, US (Dec 2015)
- Original Art Show Annual Juried Show, New York, US (Oct 2015)
- Where in the World? A Where's Waldo Inspired Exhibition, Gallery Nucleus, CA, US (Nov 2015)
- Tiny Trifecta Annual Show, Cotton Candy Machine Gallery, Brooklyn NY, US (2015)
- Bologna Children's Book Fair, the Opera Prima exhibition, Bologna, Italy (March 2014)
- Original Art Show, The Museum of American Illustration, New York, US (Oct 2013)
- Pick Me Up 2013, Selected as Selects – Up and Coming Artists' Somerset House, London UK (April 2013)
- Society of Illustrators 55 Annual Show, Museum of American Illustration, New York, US (January 2013)
- Donut Planet, Rojo Bermelo, Mexico City, Mexico (2012)
- Ghosts of Gone Birds, Rochelle School, London E2, UK (2012)
- Pen and ink and you and me, Fourth Arts Block (FAB), New York, US (2012)
- All together now, Gallery Nucleus, LA (2012)
- Baker's Dozen: An Illustrated Idiom, Gallery Nucleus, LA (2011)
- ILLUSTRATED TYPE, Gallery Nucleus, LA (2011)
- Knock-Off Artist at 2011 Flux Factory Annual Art Auction and Gala, Center 548, Chelsea, NYC (2011)
- Curate NYC, Rush Arts Gallery, Chelsea NYC (2010)
- Re: From School, SoHo NYC (2010) - presented by The Hole Gallery, RE:FORM SCHOOL and REDU
Lecture & Workshop
- Art workshop, Dreaming with Friends, with You Byun & Pat Cummings, Brooklyn Public Library (2016)
- Illustration Portfolio Lecture & Workshop, Society of Illustrators, NYC (2015)
- Picture Book Visual Essay Workshop, Playgrounds Festival, Netherlands (2014)
- Guest Lecture at Children’s Book Class, Parsons, NYC (2014)
- Guest Lecture at Queens Collage (2014)
- Guest Lecture at Pratt, NYC (2013)
- Guest Lecture at Parsons, NYC (2013)
- Guest Lecture at BFA Illustration program of School of Visual Arts, NY, US (2012)
- Guest workshop at Digital Coloring Class of School of Visual Arts, NY, US (2011)
- Lecture at BFA Visual Communication program of University of Delaware, US (2011)
- Guest Lecture at BFA Visual Communication Design program of Hongik University, Korea